For sound, I have created a number of sound effects and a full soundtrack to go along my trailer as well.
Here is the link to all my sound files. The only thing I did not make was the PEGI introduction.w
To start off with, I had a friend of mine do a small narration role for the trailer in speaking the titles name. She recorded a few for me, with varying tones. Once she sent them to me (as we are unable to meet at the time), I played all of them and chose the one I thought was best. I than dragged it into Adobe Audition where I:
- Clipped out unneeded pauses at the beginning and end.
- Tried to get rid of background hiss.
- Went onto add a “Studio” effect onto the audio so it would be less muted.
- Edited the sound so it did not over power the soundtrack.
Below is a video showing a ‘before’ and ‘after’ of the audio.
I went onto create arrow fly-bys, which I needed to be an exaggerated sound of the zip of an arrow. I had another unfortunate family member (this time) make hissing and ‘zooming’ sounds into my phone until I was satisfied. I choose one to drag into Audition and:
- Got rid of unneeded pauses.
- Amplified sound.
- Changed pitch and speed.
To create wing flap sounds for both the pegasus and the dragon, I toyed around with certain objects like a feather duster and then an umbrella. The umbrella, I found, was far more effective and after putting it into Audition I:
- Cut out unneeded pauses.
- Amplify the sound so it would be able to be heard over the soundtrack.
- Duplicated the file twice so that I could change to into different ‘Mono’ tracks.
Somehow making a dragon’s roar I knew would be far more complicated than I wanted it to be. I understood from ‘Behind-the-Scenes’ features that a lot of roars were often made with the help of exotic animals, something which I did not have on hand.
I did, however, have family.
I got the same family member who attempted to impersonate an arrow, roar as best as she could into my phone. After a bit of hilarity I stopped her, imported the files onto my laptop and dragged them into Audition where I:
- Got rid of unneeded pauses.
- Drastically changed the pitching and sound in all three I chose.
- When into the Multitrack option where I than pulled all three tracks I had been working with over and;
- arranged them so that they overlapped in certain places,
- and changed two into ‘Mono’ for a layered effect I ended up really liking.
The soundtrack was actually what I was lest looking forward to creating as I knew it would be difficult and time consuming, as I had decided to use GarageBand – an easy enough software if I had any idea in what I was doing. But I went back to my pre-production where I looked back at the opening song for Fire Emblem’s title: Heroes of Light and Shadow, which I had selected for how well it represented the series.
In far of repeating myself, I knew it had to have an atmospheric element to it, as well as be instrumental which meant avoiding a lot of heavy/ electric instruments.
I ended up picking:
- “Acoustic Guitar” – I used this as the base; to plan out where I was going with the other instruments.
- “Flute Solo” – I tried a number of ‘Orchestral’ instruments, including a ‘French Horn Solo’, ‘Trombones’ and the ‘Trumpets’ but I startled on the flute as it was gentle enough to harmonise with with the guitar but also stood out enough to be noticed.
- “String Ensemble” – I really liked the sound of the acoustic guitar and solo flute however for it to feel more like an orchestra, I knew it had to have more power to it, which is why I choose the string ensemble. Being made up of violins and cellos (I believe) it also jelled well with the acoustic guitar.
- “Glass Bells” – the Glass Bells I included as they had that ‘atmospheric’ sound I wanted and happened to blend in well with the other instruments.
I composed it by going back to Heroes’ opening song and trying to think about what I wanted the trailer to sound like with the aspects and scenes I had already created. I feel like while it might seem slow, it goes well with the trailer once I dragged it into After Effects and put it onto the timeline though I had to cut it as it was too long for the trailer, though I liked the ending so I ended up cutting it in the middle of the track so I could have both the beginning and the ending. Doing that also avoided a harsh cut off point.
Overal, I think I made the sound assets and that they synced well with the trailer and ended it the viewer experience as I had a few good comments about the music from the people who gave me my feedback.
I feel like I used the correct software and that both Audition and GarageBand were the right call, however if I had to do it again I think I would a few more sound effects to really add to the immersion of the trailer e.g. footsteps. I am otherwise happy with how things turned out and feel that I couldn’t do better.