Below is the process of my 3D modelling and animation for unit 66 and unit 67.
My environment is set in my fictional city, Haven from my graphic narrative. It is set in Zone-0; the slums. I keep in mind what this will mean while creating this model.
- I began creating my environment with a primitives; I set the scene by first working out where everything is meant to go then I start editing.
- I put in a physical sky for lighting and to set the atmosphere.
- For the buildings I mostly use extrude, inner extrude and bevel to create sci-fi styled buildings while keeping everything as low poly as possible to ensure a quick render.
- Once I get the basic shapes right, I start to add the skyscrapers that will be in the background through using primitive cubes and scaling them to be tall. I arrange them to take up as much free space as possible to give the illusion of bustling city.
- In-between modelling I begin to texture to make it easy for me to see and not to slow me down.
- I use some textures from the Content Browser but it slows down my render too much and I delete the ones I’ve used and replace them.
- The settings for the textures change depending on the shape I am applying it to. Usually for cube shapes the projection is set to cubic and so forth.
- I painted a model of a waste disposal bin.
- To do that I got a material and changed the layout to BP UV Edit.
- I use the layers to paint so that I am able to edit easily.
- Once I am finished I save the changes and put the texture onto the object.
- I create some textures using FireAlpaca and Photoshop CC for signs.
- I start with FireAlpaca for the symbols, using it for imagery through layers and lassos.
- I take it into Photoshop for the text as it is simpler.
- I save it as a .png
- I experiment with render settings to try and get the best effect while I’m still modelling.
- I play with a few settings like the Sketch and Toon before I disregard it.
- I render it out with Cel Render, a 1920X1080 width/ height and a high resolution.
- I save it into a folder as a .png.
- To start modelling I get an image which is appropriately sized for what I want and set it as the background for one of the perspectives.
- I start modelling from a flat primitive and extrude upwards, following the guideline of the image background.
- After adding a sphere for the head and editing it I begin with modelling the hair.
- When I add colour to the character model I keep it extremely simple by sticking with flat colours.
- I then make assets for the models, imported them and put them on the characters head.
- I created the facial assets through FireAlpaca.
- I made sure to start with an alpha.
- I saved it as a .png.
- I begin to rig my character I go to Character then Character and and in Build, set the template to Biped.
- In Components, I select Root and click on Spine (FK) and then set up the skeleton.
- I go onto make adjustments to the skeleton in Adjust and once that is done, I Bind it to the character model.
- I check the weight tool and fix some issues.
- Once that is done, I go to Animate where I can add a walk motion.
Once I have finished the environment, lighting and the character I begin to start setting up the cameras and the final render.
- I set up cameras by setting up the Autokeying for the timeline.
- I move, scale and rotate the camera to where I want to go.
- I do this for three separate scenes and render them all individually.
- I import all the rendered images as an image sequence and then drag them onto the timeline.
- I add fade outs in the beginning and in-between each one.
- Once I have finished the music, I add that in too.
- I save it and export it to the Adobe Media Encoder.
- I open the Garageband and start to play around in a new project file.
- Once I have finished I save and export it to iTunes where I can drag it into After Effects.
- I export my finished cutscene into the Adobe Media Encoder and wait for it to finish rendering.
- I save it and I upload it to YouTube.